What was it like growing up as a Siamese boy in London during the Second World War?
Witnessed the war and post-war years through the eyes of a young Siamese boy, Teddy Spha Palasthira, follow the author’s childhood through a series of addresses.
A book written on war and peace, plainly and honestly told, with nostalgic anecdotes, rare photographs, descriptive maps and simple sketches.
“This is a personal story of a Siamese boy growing up in wartime England and post-war Europe and Siam. The way he has combined his memoirs with recent history makes ‘FASCINATING READING’”
Anand Panyarachun, Former Prime Minister of Thailand
The number of Thais living Britain in 1942 was not more than 65 people. This is the story of one Thai family who lived in England throughout the Second World War, their experiences as Free Thais, their remarkable survival from the bombs during the Blitz, and the deprivations of wartime England and post-war France, Italy and Siam. All this is seen through the eyes of a Siamese boy who was born and raised in England.
The war was a formative experience for most of our generation.
As events unfold, we follow Teddy’s childhood through a series of addresses, some where he had lived, others where his father, a Siamese diplomat, had worker.
It is the story of a young boy’s relationship with the people he met, both Thai and European, and the effect they had on him. Teddy has drawn both figuratively and literally from his experiences, vividly describing the different places where he lived, from the dilapidated houses which became his home to his schools and teachers, and encompassing the social and political changes of the time.
It is a personal story of war and peace, simply told through the reminiscences of a Thai boy caught up by events that shook the world in the last century.
How to purchase
1. Please fill in the purchase form.
2. Confirmation will be sent to your registered email together with the online payment link.
3. The order will be completed when your online payment is filled and confirmed.
4. The Book(s) will be posted to you upon the below shipment details.
Continent Shipping Rate Per Book Estimated Delivery
Days (business days)
- Europe/Africa ฿370 (per book) 20 to 30 business days
- America ฿430 (per book) 20 to 30 business days
- Asia ฿310 (per book) 15 to 20 business days
- Domestic ฿43 (per book) 5 to 7 business days
- When orders shipped internationally reach the destination country, they may be subject to customs clearance procedures which can cause delays beyond original delivery estimates.
- Please make sure the shipping address is correctly written. If it is not, the book may be returned as undeliverable. And a new order would have to be placed.
- The company is not responsible for any loss of payment from other payment methods.
- The price is subject to change without prior notice.